Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Laying It Down



We've been here going on 7 years. In that time, we've seen a lot of the people God has given us to care for. I've been with them as loved ones passed away, and as new children and grandchildren were born. We've laughed at weddings together and cried at funerals. I've visited some in jail, and seen their workplaces.

The longer I'm here, the harder it is in one critical way.

You grow to love them.

You have to understand, I'm a private person. My family wasn't a huggy kissy group. I never wanted anyone, except Bunny and the kids, to get close. But these people have.

They drive you crazy with the way some of the same sins they were caught in 6 years ago trap them again and again. You agonize when you give them good counsel from Scripture and they ignore it. You want the best for them, and when you see them fall it hurts.

It has got to be easier just to change churches every couple of years.

I find myself agreeing with Jesus when He says "How much longer...; or are you still so dull."

And yet, when I pray, I see their faces. And I realize they need more of Jesus. Then I pray for Him to help me, help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment