Tuesday, April 21, 2009

If We Are Willing To Love







"Mookie", the child we sponsor through Compassion.












There are days when the frantic nature of our life around here literally crushes my spirit. Trying so hard to hold onto what I've heard from God, I find myself being pulled into pragmatism - "let's just get through today." Maybe it's a problem unique to me but I don't think so.

One of the things that helps me regain my heart-footing is reading certain passages in Scripture, and certain books. There are places I return to again and again in God's Word, and there are passages in books that call me home. Today I picked up a book I have read at least 5 times - Donald Miller's "Searching for God Knows What." I opened it to the chapter on Jesus and begin reading it again. Here's where the book fell open today.

"A few years ago I sat down with a man named Ron Post. Ron was about to retire from a ministry he had started twenty years ago called Northwest Medical Teams. Northwest Medical Teams is an aid organization that sends doctors to volatile regions of the world to help the sick and dying. We met at a coffee shop across town, and I asked Ron questions about how he had built this eighty-million-dollars-a-year ministry, with 98 per cent of the money going directly to the work being done in the field. I asked him how he structured his time, how he delegated responsibility, and finally asked him what was the key to his success. To answer the last question, Ron pulled from his pocket a tattered envelope filled with pictures.

For the rest of the morning the man laid down pictures of people he had met, the first of which was a young Cambodian woman, who at the age of thirteen, was being used as a sex slave by the Khmer Rouge. He told me that they had rescued her from captivity and given her a new life filled with the knowledge and love of Christ. As he showed me picture after picture of blind people who, because of a simple surgery, could now see, crippled people who could now walk, the starving who had been fed, he told me their names. He knew their names - every one of them. I had asked the man what the key to his successful ministry was, and he told me through his stories the key to his multi-million dollar ministry was a love of people. And I believe now and will always believe that if we are willing to love people, God will pour out His resources to bless our lives and his efforts."


I believe that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment