Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Service 2009

This year, I chose to use a wonderful resource from CSS Publishing company called "Letters From A Good Friday World." It consists of a series of letters from people who were participants in the events of that day, when Jesus suffered and died. Reading the previews, I was blown away. I never really considered what it was like for them once Jesus' body was laid in the tomb - or how they dealt with the loss.

We'll do some nontraditional music as well as some traditional. Anytime you hear Neil Young and Trent Rezner in Baptist worship I think you score 100% on the "they killed the sacred ficus" meter. But this is a service where we'll invite the Holy Spirit to grab our hearts and confront us with the enormity of our sins... and the raw cost.

Video this year will be less than in years past, but we still may use a couple. Thank you Sermon Spice. Still praying through the list of elements. My hope is that people come away convinced of the amazing grace we'll sing about Sunday. God's wrath was poured out onto the sinless, spotless Lamb of God.

He died in our place. He died... in our place.

It's why it is called Good Friday.



Hope to see you there.

1 comment:

  1. Well, we're about an hour out from service tonight and I'm going into it with great expectation. We've done readings throughout the week to prepare the kids for today and tonight. I think they're ready. I think they get it. Thank you for all of your great posts this week and especially today to help prepare us to experience this Great Friday.

    ReplyDelete