Friday, February 13, 2009

I'm Borrowing Trouble


/rant on - you were warned

One of the cardinal tenets that was handled down to me from my Grandmother was "don't borrow trouble." I think she meant that there's no reason to go looking for trouble. She had seen plenty, and I'd usually follow her advice.

But today I'm going to write something I don't have to.

Some churches need to close.

If you haven't clicked away already, maybe you are wondering "what prompted this?", or you are thinking about DQ ice cream cakes - ok, maybe that's just me. Well to answer the question, I was in Macon Georgia this week. You know Macon, right? Home of the Cherry Blossom Festival, Otis Redding, and the Nu Way wiener. It's also home to one of the greatest concentration of churches in the South, which probably means the world.

So I'm at the Medical Center of Central Georgia, and I bump into one of the most diligent servants of God I have ever known. There's no telling how many miles he has traveled over the years visiting people in hospitals and nursing homes. He's one of those people called a deacon - but he actually is one in the truest sense of the word.

And he's also a member of a church that needs to die. I'm not going to name the church, but it would be easy for anyone with some knowledge of Macon's history to figure it out.

The church used to occupy the corner of Mercer University's campus. To be the campus church of one of the largest centers of Baptist education meant that it took in and sent out many a pastor, missionary, and other servants dedicated to bringing the good news to people far from God. Yet when one of those who was reached left his native Africa and came to study at Mercer, he was barred from worshiping in the campus church.

The church had to move from the campus because it refused to change. It refused to welcome people of color. A few years later it was instrumental in starting a private school to help white people leave the public schools, so they wouldn't have to sit next to black people.

It moved into a brand new building in the fastest growing area of Macon, and spent a few years enshrining tradition. There were pastors who had "family ministries" and those who had radio spots. They grew with the area, and moderated some, but remained aloof from culture's changes. Long story short, the last pastor brought reformed theology in and wound up out.

So now, they cling to life.

Hearing of where they are now in terms of membership, about their ancient interim pastor with health troubles, that they are $2000 short each month, I was surprised when my friend said, "and we just elected a pulpit committee to look for a pastor, though I don't know how we are going to pay him."

Then he said, "I guess we are just going to have to step out in faith."

It took everything I had not to say, "Why not just step out and let it die."

Generational sin. Refusal to give more than lip service to "love your neighbor as yourself." Worship of tradition and glory given to people. Veneration of man made objects and denigration of the image of God.

Just let it die.

/rant off

1 comment:

  1. Agreed....

    Reading the rubbish the SBC is dishing up this week makes me wonder if it needs to die as well.....

    ReplyDelete