Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Day of School Eve

WELCOME_CHART.jpg (1392×1056)


Tonight I'm going to enjoy a meal with my family and then get to work preparing for tomorrow's first day of school. The school district has vetted me, the principal has selected me, and the teacher I'm working with has trusted me with 15 children entering the third grade. You know me, I've read everything I can about how to start the year right.

The stakes are this high:

A new study reveals that the level of reading skills children develop by third grade may indicate their likelihood of graduating high school.

Released by The Annie E. Casey Foundation, the report found that students who don't read proficiently by third grade are four times more likely to leave school without a diploma when compared to proficient readers. The number rises when those kids also come from poverty.
Article from Huffington Post

Third grade is a pivotal year. It's when the educators step on the gas and accelerate instruction. My kids will learn the scientific method, how to use primary sources, how to multiply and divide, how to write in cursive and much much more. All of this will occur while their body grows and changes and they become much more social. Their teacher has to be their guide to and through.

So as soon as I close this I'll go into my office and pray through tomorrow and how I'm going to start their journey.

Pray for them.

Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment