Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wag More. Bark Less.

Think about it.

The tendency of so many of us is to think about and dwell on what's wrong. We gripe and complain. We bark.

If we'd just look around and see how blessed we really are.

When I saw the sticker I had just left a Publix store where I had access to foodstuffs from across the world. Whatever I wanted was laid out for me there, from Polish Ham, to Chilean Sea Bass. There were pastries, sushi, and it all was fresh and organized. Walking to the front, I saw a little girl, maybe 9 years old, playing a game on her iPod. She was so into it, holding the iPod out front of her and turning it this way and that, and grinning all the while. Her joy was infectious.

When I checked out, I simply swiped a piece of plastic and signed my name. We left and entered the beautiful Florida sunshine, passing a man with a whippet wearing a polka dot sweater on a leash. Then we put the groceries in the trunk and drove away.

The vast, vast majority of the people inhabiting this planet right now would have seen what we did as incredible. Were they allowed to experience it, they would have seen it as the most blessed day of their life. It would have been surreal.

And you know what?

It was just an ordinary day. A ridiculously blessed ordinary day.

What if we were to step back and take a real hard look at what we have and how we take it for granted. What if we were to take moments every now and then and thank God for the blessings we have instead of complaining about what we lack.

What if we wagged more, and barked less?

No comments:

Post a Comment