Friday, September 12, 2008

Doesn't Work



The admittedly satirical and mocking photoshop above reminded me of a rant I've been saving up. I know people sometimes don't really apply themselves to their relationship with God. Then they comment as they walk away "This doesn't work."

It's like we see sometimes when people come to the ocean.

They stand on the beach and complain about the sea creatures, whine about the sand being hot to their feet, or wonder what idiot came up with the warning flag colors. In short, they do everything except dive in themselves.

But the expectation in the church seems to be -

No worries, because to the rescue comes "SUPER PASTOR".

Well on behalf of pastors everywhere, but speaking personally for me alone.

Not

I don't have enough...

- Love to supply what you lack. If you are going to be in a relationship with Jesus, you can't rent someone else to love Him for you. I'll love you, try to help you get into a position where you can experience His love, but it's in giving of yourself to Him and for Him with your neighbors that you'll see the most growth in your love for Him. No one can do that for you.

- Answers to fill in all your gaps. There's something I read once about working out your own salvation with fear and trembling. It's not always celebration - this Way with Jesus. Sometimes you are scared out of your skin, or wondering if He's really there. And in those times, when you force yourself deeper into Him even though all your feelings are telling you RUN!, your faith begins to take root, grow deep, mature. Can I point you to Scriptures, offer books, give you the benefit of my experience with God? Sure. But I can't do your hard work of trusting God when it doesn't make sense. I can't wait on God for you.

- Time to read what you should be reading for yourself. If you are depending on your pastor to take your place in Bible study, it's a little like pretending watching football is getting you in shape. Ain't gonna happen.

We return you now to your regularly scheduled "Joel Osteen Hour of Personal Power"

No comments:

Post a Comment