Friday, February 08, 2008

Status



This license plate, because of its low number, cost a wealthy Dubai man the equivalent of 6.75 million dollars. The lower the number, the more expensive the plate because it is believed the owner is of a high "status".





I had the privilege earlier today to participate in a funeral for a dear saint of God Viola Phelps. I'd be stunned if you had ever heard of her. In our celebrity saturated culture she'd be rated a "nobody". But not to Jesus. To Him she was somebody who loved Him. And who He loved.

I was reminded of Billy Graham's quote when asked about whether or not he'd get a front row seat in heaven. The humble man of God replied thoughtfully, "No, I don't expect to. I expect that some widow woman who has been praying on her knees all these years for me and for my ministry. No, I believe she and others like her will receive the honors due them."

Viola Phelps would be one of those Billy was speaking about. I went in one day to see her in the CCU of our local hospital. I figured I'd go in for 5 minutes or so and encourage this elderly woman who must certainly be in dire straights. Sometimes I just go in and pray if they are asleep.

But Viola was very much awake. We talked about her family and how much she loved them and how much she was hoping to get to go home again to be with them. Then we talked about Jesus - how much she loved Him and how much she hoped to be one day going home to Him. I got ready to leave, my 5 minutes having become 35 and before I could pray for her, she prayed for me. She asked God to bless me and my family, to show me His will and give me the courage to do it, to bless our church and its people, and to make our ministry prosper.

I left shaking my head. I was supposed to be encouraging HER. :)

We gathered at the city cemetery today, to pay our last respects. The pastor I was sharing the service with has served this community for almost 50 years. He looked over the fields and said, "I've buried a lot of people out here." We left one more friend there today.

The mortality rate - I just checked - is still 100%. And regardless of your riches, it's still ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Why is it some people feel the need to make sure others know that their lives mean something by displaying their wealth or their position in a way to get people to notice?

It was one of those days as a pastor that clarify why it matters what we do. To keep people attentive to God's offer of salvation. To help them up and point them in the right way - to help them follow Jesus. To encourage and comfort, to instruct and rebuke.

And to help them realize that what matters the most to this world is of absolutely no value in the next. The pastor gets a pass into people's lives just at the times they need someone who knows what really matters is Jesus. It is His love that can meet every need.

It's such a great honor to be a part of God's plan.

Maybe Viola will save a seat up front for Billy. Now that's status.

Shalom,

David

1 comment: