Thursday, February 21, 2008

Great Ideas From Michael @ Behind the Leaf

Michael, I always appreciate your posts, but this one is so good I had to quote it all. Folks, if you want to learn how to be better - whether you are a planter, or a pastor, put Michael's blog in your reader.

Behind the Leaf
Sunday Cheat Sheet
February 21, 2008

In our meeting room, I keep a sheet of paper with some reminder statements. These are things that shape our services. I have to keep reminding myself.

Connect the dots.
Keep the vision in front of the people.
Incorporate the mission statement into the welcome and announcements.
Tell personal stories about our volunteers.
Celebrate victories (look back) as much as you communicate vision (look forward)
Read cool e-mails.
Remind people about our kids policy.
Read Scripture during the worship set.
A hymn teaches people theology.
Make a big deal out of the offering. (a story, where the money goes, a Scripture)
Look at things from the eyes of a guest.
The unexpected gets noticed.
Humor unfolds arms.


To me, this shows a real depth of understanding not only of mission and vision, but of the pastor's role in it. Certain things you cannot delegate and keeping your church's focus on what matters is one of those.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:59 PM

    Thanks for your recent comment on my blog.

    Just dropping by to say I love the title of your own blog; made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete