Friday, February 02, 2007

Have you ever tried to change a habit?

It's so hard.

Last night Bunny and I hosted a small group focusing on communication in marriage. One of the things that I came to realize as I worked through the material was the need to make some changes in the way I communicate - not just with Bunny, but with others. I'm not sure when it started - maybe I have always done this - but while talking to a person I would look down, up, or just away for seconds at a time and then refocus on the person I was talking to.

Yeah, pretty annoying I suspect.

Here you are, having a conversation with someone, and as they reply to a comment, it seems that they have found something more interesting to look at. I'm amazed that someone over the years hasn't stopped me and said "what's so interesting?" To all you kind people, I can only express my thanks.

Once I discovered I was doing this, I put all my energies toward correcting the action. I m-a-d-e m-y-s-e-l-f look the person in the eye as I was speaking to them. And I did it! For a while. What I found out was that I had to stay focused on what I was doing and why. I had to remember to do that every single time.

Pray for me.

There are a lot of things I appreciate about the apostle Paul. His openness, transparency, and humility are just a part of that appreciation. He writes from his heart when he says:

12 I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. 13 Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, 14 where God is beckoning us onward— to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.
15 So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision— you'll see it yet! 16 Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it. Phil 3:12-16 (MSG)

Maybe you started this year off with a steely determination that you were going to make some changes. But as the weeks have rolled by, your focus and determination to accomplish what you set out to do have faded. Well friends, the only way you can fail is by ceasing to try to change.

If you've set a goal and God is glorified in it, then keep going - don't look back.

or up... or at the floor..

Focus on Jesus.

Grace!

David Wilson
Lead Pastor
New Hope!
.
--
Visit with me at my blogs:
http://davethepastor.livejournal.com/
http://davethepastor.vox.com/
Or visit New Hope!
http://www.newhopevalp.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment