Saturday, February 10, 2007

Winners and Losers This Week

It's been a full week.

We've seen everything from a marriage ripped apart to a bachelor party and shower for two 80+ year old saints. We've seen real glimmers of hope in some of the people who aren't there yet, and a real cooling of the God-relationship with others.

I really laid it all out there Wednesday night to help the people understand just why Jesus and the Pharisees sparred so often. I went from Genesis to Revelation to show how the religious Jew had turned God's intent on its head, turning the effects of being Holy into the cause of holiness. After explaining that stressing the practices of faith without having a heart of faith led to elitism, ceremonial worship, and legalism, I made the point that we Baptists were not immune from such foolishness. Many times we try say that a person's not doing certain things makes them holy, when as Vance Havner said, "no, it just makes them tired."

So after I had built a case for grace, a new member came up to me after and said jokingly, "I'm so glad you did that pastor. Hey, some of us are going out drinking and dancing Friday night - want to come?" I had a Fred Sanford moment - "It's the big one!" until I saw his grin. And of course now I'm haunted by that remark.

Then there was the morning when four of us went to talk with a young woman we love who fell back into drug use after being clean for months. Her kids are our kids. We're family. And we have nothing but God to rely on in our desperate desire to see her make it through.

The real work this week has been in prayer. For the young man and woman headed for divorce and for their families. For the two older folks as they step out in faith. For the Spirit to fan into flame the sparks of faith we saw in some people, and to reignite it in the others. For the young mother struggling with addiction and for her family.

After being here almost 8 years, these aren't "Those people". They are "my people". And I want them all to make it to the finish line in faith. So pray with me for those I've mentioned. And pray for Bunny and me, as we try to follow Jesus among the rest of the broken people.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Thanks for sharing your heart David. I've been lurking on your blog, but decided to finally post. Praying for you as you lead "your people"...
    Paul Josephh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:38 PM

    You and Bunny have my prayers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOOVE the name of your blog...I will come back to visit....

    ReplyDelete