Thursday, May 18, 2006

Do You Get Paid?

One of our loosely attached middle schoolers was out front of my office yesterday when I left to come home. Out of the blue he asked me a series of questions.

"Are you the only one who works here?"
"Why"
"Do you get paid?"
"Why"

It was kind of funny really. I stopped and tried to explain how we as a church Body all had different roles to play, and that mine was to be a pastor to everyone as they each did their part.

"Everybody works here - God has given each of us talents, gifts, and abilities. My job then is to help people find God, and then find out how to use what He's given them to serve Him by loving people. To do that takes time, and so everybody here gives me that by paying me enough so that I can focus only on that. I read, study, write, call, visit, email - do everything I can to help people find God and stay close to him."

I paused, because I know how short his attention span is, and I was afraid that he might not have understood.

"Cool", he said and walked away.

"Yep, way cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment