Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dan Brown and the Briar Patch

I hope to visit you soon, but just in case I'm delayed, I'm writing this letter so you'll know how things ought to go in God's household, this God-alive church, bastion of truth. This Christian life is a great mystery, far exceeding our understanding, but some things are clear enough:

He appeared in a human body,
was proved right by the invisible Spirit,
was seen by angels.
He was proclaimed among all kinds of peoples,
believed in all over the world,
taken up into heavenly glory.
1 Timothy 3:14-16 (The Message)


Friday, the Da Vinci Code begins its run at theaters all across the nation and around the world. For months now, I've been receiving snail mail and email concerning first the book's and now the movie's potential impact on Christian faith. And yet I cannot help but think that somewhere in heaven, someone is laughing out loud at the latest feeble assault on our faith.

The more I've studied the book and it's claims, the more I'm certain that someone laughing isn't alone, that there might be a whole angelic chorus of laughter. In fact, Brown's book reminds me of another work of fiction, by Joel Chandler Harris.

"I don't care what you do with me, Brer Fox, says he, "Just so you don't fling me in that briar patch. Roast me, Brer Fox," says he, "But don't fling me in that briar patch."
"It's so much trouble to kindle a fire," says Brer Fox, says he, "that I expect I'd better hang you," says he.
"Hang me just as high as you please, Brer Fox, says Brer Rabbit, "but for the Lord's sake, don't fling me in that briar patch," says he.
"I don't have any string, " says Brer Fox, "Now I expect I had better drown you, " says he.
"Drown me just as deep as you please, Brer Fox," says Brer Rabbit, "But please do not fling me in that briar patch, " says he.
"There's no water near here," says Brer Fox, says he, "And now I reckon I'd better skin you."
"Skin me Brer Fox," says he. "Snatch out my eyeballs, tear out my ears by the roots," says he, "But please, Brer Fox, don't fling me in that briar patch, " says he.
Of course, Brer Fox wanted to get Brer Rabbit as bad as he could, so he caught him by the behind legs and slung him right in the middle of the briar patch. There was a considerable flutter when Brer Rabbit struck the bushes, and Brer Fox hung around to see what was going to happen.
By and by he heard someone call his name and 'way up on the hill he saw Brer Rabbit sitting cross-legged on a chinquapin log combing the tar pitch out of his hair with a chip. Then Brer Fox knew he had been tricked.
Brer Rabbit hollered out, "Born and bred in the briar patch. I was born and bred in the briar patch!" And with that he skipped out just as lively as a cricket in the embers of a fire.


Friends, you can trust the Bible. And you can trust God to turn the most clever attacks from any source to His advantage. As Paul wrote to Timothy, we cannot possibly understand everything about God, but some things are clear enough.

So here at New Hope we're going to "Dialogue With Da Vinci" the next couple of weeks. For a serious student of the culture, context, and writings of the New Testament era, it doesn't get much more fun than this.

Don't throw me in that briar patch. :)


Grace!

David

--
Visit with me at my blog:
http://davethepastor.livejournal.com/
Or visit New Hope!
http://www.newhopevalp.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment