Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Like A Rock




I've seen the trailer a dozen times now. Sandra Bullock flies by the shuttle and screaming off into space. I always wonder about movies like that. From this couch-side view, I'd think the idea was to raise the viewers emotions as they see someone in trouble barely hanging on.

Frankly, I see enough of that in real life.

There's the student who is struggling and he knows it. I can see it in his face way before he ever says anything. Rushing over to help him work a problem, his little face turns upward to mine and he says "Mr. Wilson, today I am thinking like a rock." When I ask "what does a rock think like?"

He says with a quiver, "They don't." He's failing and he just lost his belief that he'll ever change that.

It doesn't matter what age you are. When the flood rises and you taste fear's bitterness, and you feel your confidence in yourself slipping - the tide rushing out between your feet - you know it isn't a movie.

Today I knelt beside that little soul and walked through the problems with him. I assured him that I was not going to walk away - that I'd help him today and tomorrow - until he "got" it. He needed to know that he wasn't in it alone. He should know by now he can trust Mr. Wilson to do exactly what he says he will do. And I will.

Tonight I'm praying for him, and for God to give me everything I need to help him succeed.

Because I've been that soul.

I have had those moments where fear overwhelmed me and all I could see was devastating failure and loss.

And someone knelt beside me and repeated these words " “I’ll never let you down, never walk off and leave you,” (Hebrews 13:5b) and I instantly knew I could trust him.

Thank you Jesus. Thank you for my little one and all of us who need faith like a rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment