Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Blue Tuesday

Yesterday I spent some time in a rare posture for me - with headphones on. Bunny was watching a movie that I didn't want to see, and in our home noise travels. So I put the headphones on and for over an hour, listened to "The Blues".

I heard B.B., Albert, and Freddie - the three Kings. I went through Clapton, SRV, and Jonny Lang. And for a music named the blues, I got the opposite, just hearing the raw authenticity of the music.

Today is Tuesday, and we're beginning to follow-up on our strays from this weekend. One explained "I just couldn't get up", and another told a tale of family woe. From now on, if I want to wallow in the Blues, I'll know what "music" to listen to.

The lack of commitment in people who should be farther along is stunning. And the lack of concern about how a parent's actions (or inactions) affects their children's understanding of what it means to be a follower of Jesus just blows my mind and makes my heart heavy.

Eugene Peterson, in an oft-quoted piece from "Working the Angles" says that a pastor's main job is "to keep a congregation attentive to God." Well, Gene, some of those we try to prod to be more attentive just can't be bothered or see every raincloud as a hurricane.

Christians should be known as people who move toward need and truth and justice, not toward comfort and security.

Life is hard. Make no mistake about it. Jesus said "in this life you will have trouble."

But God is good.

And Christ is strong to help.

For He finished that remark by saying "but take heart, for I have overcome the world."

I have to remind myself of that, when it's Blue Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Hi David-

    I'm a fellow pastor and share your heavy heart!

    I'm curious...how do you follow up on your strays? Do you follow up on everyone who misses every week? I would love to learn what your church does in this regard.

    We struggle with this...we are an old, traditional slowly transitioning church that is experience some growth. But due to change, health, busyness, etc. we have a lot of strays. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

    Grace and peace,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Steve, I basically use email and a cell phone unless I know that my travels will put me in their path. I've found a Sunday night "missed you guys" isn't received as anything other than a note of care, where a written card raises the stakes.

    It becomes more important depending on the person's age as well. The older people need to know you care about them - that they matter. Younger couples are so busy they are amazed you noticed.

    ReplyDelete