Monday, March 26, 2007

The 100

The 100... million

"You live and learn" is what people say.

But is it just me, or does much of what we learn not get used?

Algebra... now when is the last time you used that. (Don't get me started on Trigonometry etc.) Some of what we learn just gets outdated. I knew how to use a slide rule once upon a time, could run MS-DOS off a command line prompt, and could tell you a lot about handball. But none of those are in use anymore, at least not by me.

But once upon a time I was a wiz.

One of the areas of knowledge I still do use is statistics. So when I read this week about the 100 - the 100 million people who haven't been to church once in the last six months, my keen intellect determined immediately that first - 100 million is a lot, and second, people are inclined to stretch the truth about going to church. So I am very sure it's more than just 100... million.

And here's what bothers me about those stats.

I know some of them.

They are people I care about.

And if I have lived and learned, then why aren't I - and the church that I serve better at helping them find Jesus?

Why aren't we all?

100,000,000 souls..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment