Tuesday, May 04, 2004

William's World



My friend William Hobbs walked into my office Sunday. At just past two, he is incredibly huggable, but he didn't come for one of those, he came to tell me something. So sermon preparation came to a halt, my chair swiveled around, and I gave over my attention to William's world.



And what a world it is!



For William, every event is a cause for celebration, even what he wanted to share with me Sunday. His little brow furrowed, and when he saw that I was paying attention, his pudgy little hand grabbed the fabric on his chest and he said "shirt", and grinned.



I had to grin back.



Was it a new shirt? Don't know. Was it his favorite shirt? Don't know. Does he just like shirts in general and wanted to see if he could make a convert to his revolutionary way of looking at life? Don't know.



But whatever reason he had behind his statement - it was followed by a grin - so it must be good.



Somehow I think it's always good in William's world.



What happened to the rest of us?



Romans 8:28 (GW)

We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God—those whom He has called according to His plan.



Now folks, is that true or not?



Romans 8:31 (GW)

What can we say about all of this? If God is for us, who can be against us?



And that one - are you saying that there's a someone, something, somehow type of problem in your life that's just too big for God to handle?



Romans 8:37 (GW)

The one who loves us gives us an overwhelming victory in all these difficulties.



You see friends, it is true that a child's view of the world is limited. William doesn't know about war, and HIV, and poverty, or death. But he knows he's loved, and he knows he's cared for - and that's enough for him.



How about you?



I know your world is much bigger than William's, you've got a lot on your mind. But when you strip away everything except that which matters, you'll know this.



You are loved.



By God.



Now go tell.





Grace!



David Wilson



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment