Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Take Over!



Weak. I'm feeling pretty weak today. Maybe I should have gotten a hint of what was ahead when as I walked down the road away from our home this morning, a dryer sheet fell out of my pant's leg. Then later, the sinus infection that plagued me the day before reacquainted itself, and a recurring kidney problem reminded me it still knew my name.



Yep, I'm feeling pretty weak.



I sort of feel like the young lady on her first solo after winning her driver's license. She came around a corner and was immediately confronted by a mass of spinning and smoking cars all across the road ahead of her. Being a Christian, she knew she had to rely on God to take care of her, so she took her hands off the wheel and said out loud, "You take it Lord!"



Never did hear how that turned out.



But since I have work to do, I did ask God to take over. To use my weakness today to teach me about Him - about His mercy and His grace. And He lead me to this passage.



2 Cor. 12:9 (Msg)

...He told me,



"My grace is enough; it's all you need.

My strength comes into its own in your weakness."




Paul had a physical problem that wouldn't go away, no matter how much he begged God to remove it. Finally, He realized that the ailment was the least of his problems. Paul understood that he couldn't let himself focus on what was wrong with him. Instead, he had to focus on what was right with God.



He just let God take over.



It's the end of the day here, and everything except the dryer sheet is still with me. But you know, it's been especially good to be with God today in the study of His Word.



What about you? Are you spending all your energies focusing on what is wrong? Why not take a minute right now and begin thanking God for all the things that are right in your life? Go as deep as you need to. But don't stop until your focus has shifted to Him. Then let Him take over.



Grace!



David Wilson



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment