Friday, March 26, 2004

In No Time



Last week I was given a daisy in a basket by the group of littlest Girl Scouts that meet here at New Hope. They are called "daisies", and earn "petals" to place on their uniform smocks as they learn Girl Scout stuff. So I really enjoyed receiving something that will remind me of them as they take the summer off. (Is it that time already?)



I took the flower home since I have a well deserved reputation as a plant-killer, and turned it over to Bunny. She's cared for it faithfully, and it has lasted a week longer than it would have with me. But a couple of days ago she noticed it was drooping, so she watered it. Yesterday it was back in the same shape, and she told me it needed to be planted in soil that would hold the moisture around it, and give it time to drink it up.



Made sense to me.



I've been spending this morning praying and reading the Bible. Last week, I printed out a book out of it off the computer, and have been reading it off and on during the days, trying to let it soak in. You see folks so much of what I do here is specific to teaching and preaching, that at times even though I'm handling God's Word, full of nourishment for my soul and life for my spirit, it can rush through without making a difference in me.



So I deliberately printed some out in Eugene Peterson's wonderful paraphrase, The Message. For those of you who don't have a copy, well, it's raw, and rough around the edges. Full of emotion - of power - of force. Today's snippet:



James 4:7-8 (Msg)

So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. [8] Say a quiet yes to God and He'll be there in no time.



The only way I can possibly stand before a group of people week in and week out, when I'm weak, week in and week out, trying to break open God's Word in such a way they hear it - is to drop every idea that I'm worthy to do that outside my study door.



Saying that quiet "Yes, I need you Lord" brings Him here in no time, and the sermon I thought would never get off the ground is lifted up, as am I.



Where before I couldn't hold His wisdom long enough to place it onto paper, suddenly I'm able to express His Truth. It's a God thing.



Friends, the only way up - out of that rut, out of that hole, out of that dry place you might find yourself help in today - is to say "yes" to God and let Him take you by the hand and heart. He'll lift your spirits and give you a bright new perspective on life.



In no time.



Grace!





David Wilson



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.



No comments:

Post a Comment