Saturday, January 27, 2024

Laying that burden down

 




As a rule, no sports team I root for will prosper. Or if they do, they will be like a seed sown on hard ground. Consequently, I'm only an observer of success by other teams. Painfully so at times. And so it is with Liverpool, and their manager, Jurgen Klopp. In fact one of the most painful memories has to do with him and Liverpool beating my Tottenham Hotspurs in the Champions League finals.

But I've always admired the Liverpool fanbase and in particular Jurgen Klopp. Recently, Klopp made known his decision to leave at the end of the year. He said he's run out of energy. That you can't do what he's done for as long as he's done it and not pay a price. I get that. I can identify with that.

Almost 25 years ago I accepted the call of a small group of people in Valparaiso, Florida - a place I don't think I had ever heard of - to become the pastor of New Hope Baptist Church. I was entering an area, a culture, and a role that I had no idea of the cost to my family and yes, to me. But I was absolutely sure this was God's will for my life. And my family trusted what I believed.

There were (in no specific order) hard times, okay times, hard as heck times, and good times - even great times. In one of the hardest, I knew the church would not be able to support my family through a severe but unexpected financial crisis. So I started substitute teaching, giving all my salary to the church. Then I got a full time teaching position and for the next 11 years I had two jobs I loved that would both take all the time, effort, and dedication you had to give. 

COVID came and I taught online for a year and 3 months. But then, even though I loved teaching online and did really well, there was to be no online. So I went back to the classroom and had a tough year. The togetherness and parent involvement wasn't there, and the admin paperwork, assumptions that you'd work another 20+ hours off the clock for free, and the horrible behavior issues and poor support from admin just sucked the joy out of teaching for me. At the same time, I was dealing with half the number of regular attenders at New Hope after COVID. At year's end - the week before I was to return - I retired from teaching. I hoped that I could help see the church turn around.

I'm still waiting. And yes, I get what Jurgen Klopp said. There's only so much you can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment