Friday, January 25, 2008

Missiology Played Out

So we're having a discussion in my evangelism class at Rockbridge about how best to relate to our culture today. How do we bring the message of Jesus to the 21st century person who is spiritually aware, but who has not embraced the church culture.

One person is saying that people are looking for answers today and we need to be trained to be able to give them a cogent response. My contention is that we have millions of people within the churches who have more information than ever before about theology, and they aren't living a Jesus centered life - so why would we seek to lead people to Jesus through a display of knowledge about Him?

It's the difference between a Josh McDowell approach and a Mother Teresa one. The first has everything nailed down. There's an answer for every question anyone could raise about Christianity. The latter lives out a cross centered life out loud, warts and all admitting all the while that there's nothing special about us - only that we know Jesus as Lord and follow Him.

For me, as right brained a person as you'll ever meet, the appeal of the argument or apologetic approach is strong. I was a salesman for years, well trained to persuade. Then I reached seminary where they taught me to appeal to people's felt needs as I prepared sermons. I was a hammer in a forest of nails.

But somewhere along the way, the average person stopped being so concerned about answers and more interested in finding meaning through relationships. They became much less likely to press you on the details of Christianity and much more observant of how the Christ-life was lived.

Today, I think people want to hear the melody rather than grab every note. They want to be moved by it, and have it touch their soul. When it happens, it doesn't take away their personality, but it does change their reason for living and give them a purpose for everyday.

It may be hard for us to change. But it can be done, if we love Jesus enough. The only way this world will ever be reached for Christ is if enough of us love His "music" so much we spread it as an act of love.

In that spirit, to illustrate what I mean, I present a study in musical missiology.

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent post. I like the verbal word pictures that you paint.

    The culture has indeed shifted, and the image of "melody not the notes" is a beautiful one that captures my attention.

    I finished reading Evangelism Made Slightly Less difficult that takes a more Josh McDowell approach.

    Pastor Chris
    EvangelismCoach.org

    ReplyDelete