Sunday, June 10, 2007

It's the first day of summer break for school kids here, and all of them are looking forward to a great time. Well for once, Bunny and I were ahead of the game, as we spent the last few days on vacation in St Augustine, FL. She needed a break, and I went along. :) There were enough experiences for several blog posts during the three days we were there, but as I thought about the time we spent together there, I wanted to share this with you today.

Here's what I learned on our spring vacation.

My wife and I are very different. And I love her madly.

There, I've said it.

And it's true.

The places we went this week- Two different shrines - one Greek Orthodox, one Catholic. A wax museum and a museum that was a "collection of collections". Several art galleries, and restaurants from cultures very diverse from my usual fare. Bunny even convinced me, possibly one of the least "ghost-aware" people on the planet, to go on a "Ghosts and Gravestones" tour.

And I loved every minute of it, even though some of it was outside my areas of interest. We even took a break from our normal eating habits. I went three days without McDonalds, Wendy's, or any fast food. But I experienced Greek, Italian, and Spanish foods that were incredibly good. David Wilson, Mr. Meat and Potatoes himself, ate spinach pie, Mousaka (eggplant), clams, mussels, squid... - well, you get the picture.

But being with the woman I love was simply awesome. I got to see her joy at examining an artist's brush strokes, watch her get excited over seeing the ocean, and hear her talk about the things she loves. It was a very special time for both of us. We've been married almost 34 years, and I've never loved her more. Yes, we've both changed over the years, but I'm loving her more today than the first day of our marriage.

My only regret is that we haven't spent enough time together as we did this week.

Let me ask you a question. It's a serious one.

If you love someone, shouldn't that mean you are open to experience changes in what you value, what you do - because you love them?

Wouldn't it mean you were willing - even eager -to go places and do things with them because of your love?

Wouldn't you learn to love the things that they love too?

Jesus put it this way:

Matt 11: 28-30 "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

When is the last time you walked off your beaten path to follow Jesus?

When did you last do something you wouldn't do for anyone else - for Jesus - out of your love for Him?

Think back over how many years since you became a Christian, and ask yourself.

Do you love the things Jesus loves?

If you can't answer yes, maybe it's time for you to take a break and rediscover just how much you are loved

"Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace. Matt 6:5-17

In His love,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment