Thursday, September 28, 2006

Courtship

Sunday afternoon is naptime around here. Since we do two Sunday services, and I either teach or lead music too. So we crash from 1-3:30. Last Sunday, I had just gotten up when I got a call from a person in Texas. He said he was from a small church outside Austin, and they had received my resume. Without missing a beat he said that their committee had decided to focus on one person at a time and I was that person. Then he said, "Are you interesting in becoming our pastor?"

...............................................

He must have sensed something because he asked, "If you had to answer today would you say yes or no?"

I said, "Well, given I don't know where you are, who you are, or what you are about, so absent an audible voice from God, no."

We were off the phone in a minute. I felt bad about it then, but what is a church thinking making me their number one candidate without ever making contact with me? I don't know where they got my resume, or how old that resume is. I'm not interested in going anywhere, but if I was, I'd sure like to know something about where God sends me before I go.

Crazy.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Madness!!!

    Haven't they read your blog ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that a church would act like that... well, from sad experience, it may be amazing but not unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, they just picked the wrong day to call. Now this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete