Tuesday, July 11, 2006

1985 all over again

In 1985, my wife and I joined Mount Zion Baptist Church in Bolingbroke, Georgia. We were immediately made to feel like we had always been there by the families who really had - for generations. I'll always be grateful for that, and for them. I learned a lot there, surrendered to the call to become a pastor, and first laid my eyes on a book about the rapture called "1985 Reasons Why Christ Will Return in 1985" It turned out to be a long running sequel series, for later while rummaging around in the old Baptist Bookstore, I found "1977 reasons why..."

I bring this up because today I received the latest CBD catalog. When God really got busy in my life, the CBD catalog became on of those bits of mail we looked forward to receiving. Not only did it have the latest and greatest tools to study your Bible, but it had a closeout section that contained real bargains. Like those books I was just talking about.

Today when the catalog came, I was struck by how many offerings on the DaVinci Code that there were, and wondered how long it would take until they found their way into the closeout bin, alongside "2002 reasons..."

Is it marketing prowess, or are Christians just that gullible?

2 comments:

  1. I think we are just looking for an easier way to share our faith than the only one that really works.
    Loving people, being their friend, investing time effort and even money into their lives.

    Giving of ourselves, as Jesus did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to CBD on several occasions. It's right here in Peabody, MA. Just thought you would like to know.

    ReplyDelete