Thursday, June 01, 2006

On Worship

This morning, while preparing for the events of the week, I stumbled across an article by a man named Bill Hull. I was gathering materials about discipleship (Bill's God-called focus), but since we are seeking God's person for worship leader here at New Hope, the paragraph below really spoke to me. We are looking for someone who will help lead us to exalt Jesus. Here's what Bill wrote:

(When we focus on anything other than Jesus) Worship becomes about us, about our tastes, likes, and dislikes. I love the story of the person who came out of a church service complaining, "I didn't really care for that." "Good," said a friend, "because we weren't worshipping you."

The drive within us to see ourselves at the center of every song, every sermon, every event, every conversation, and every problem reminds us of our own problems. Humility removes self from center and puts God in the middle. We become a supporting player, the world and God's plan is not in orbit around us.

Jesus was a man for others. As his disciple, then, my life is about others—only then will I find myself. As Bonhoeffer said, "The church is only the church when it exists for others." I am his disciple when I celebrate him, not me. The gospel is about how to live, the means to learning to live is learning to die. Once you have life, Jesus says, "Now I will teach you how to give it up."


"I am His disciple when I celebrate Him, not me."

Friends, we need to take that statement to heart, and our hearts to Jesus. That means giving Him our all - because that's what He's due.

No comments:

Post a Comment