Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hi, my name is David, and I'm a John Denver fan.

Wow! I feel so much better now that's out in the open. And yes, there are a lot of other artists I enjoy, from Stevie Ray Vaughn and BB King, to U2 and REM, all the way to Nickel Creek and Garth Brooks. But John Denver has always been one of my favorites. I bought his music back when it used to come on these round vinyl disks, and also in a black plastic box you shoved into an 8 track player in your car. I used to watch his TV shows and all the PBS specials.

I even spent $70 once to go to a concert to hear him in person.

For weeks I was filled with excitement, knowing that finally I'd get to see and hear someone I had always wanted to experience. The evening came, Bunny and I sat down. John Denver came out, and everyone around us stood. After a moment or two, we realized that they weren't going to sit back down, so we stood too. Then he began to sing, and for a brief moment, it was glorious.

Then everyone else around us began to sing too.

I didn't pay $70 to hear their voices. And they weren't very good, in fact some were pretty awful. This continued all the way through, until at last, the concert was over and we went home. I've never felt so cheated in my life.

Today I was praying for those around us here, and for people outside the faith community everywhere, when it hit me.

What if the reason people aren't in a church fellowship is not because they don't love Jesus, but because they can't see or hear Him for all the "pretenders" who are in the way?

That's an area that Jesus was frustrated often by. God the Father was desperate to tell the world of His love and plans to help them live life with grace in truth. The religious people did everything they could to keep that message from being heard.

" `These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far away. Their worship is a farce, for they replace God's commands with their own man-made teachings.' " Mark 7:7

Friends, you need to hear God's song to you expressed through the love of Jesus Christ. Not what you hear on TV, or through others pretending to sing along with Him but never on key with grace. As a pastor, I don't come to church to tell people how to live, I come to hear God's voice and share what I've learned in my own struggles to love Him with my whole life.

I believe with every fiber of my being that once you know Jesus and love Him completely, you'll always want to hear Him. Make a way. Find a place free of interference from the world and its din of noise and meditate on God's Word. Take a moment to appreciate the wonder of God's creation. Find something in your life you can give Him thanks for, and spend a moment in prayer doing just that. Then come to worship with your fellow strugglers and enjoy the wonder of praise.

Don't allow yourself to be cheated out of a relationship with God.

Grace!

David Wilson
www.newhopevalp.org

No comments:

Post a Comment