Thursday, December 02, 2004

So, You're a Preacher...



One day as Jesus was walking along the shore beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers--Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew--fishing with a net, for they were commercial fishermen. 19Jesus called out to them, "Come, be my disciples, and I will show you how to fish for people!" 20And they left their nets at once and went with him. Matthew 4:21-23



There are times when I have to laugh about the position God has placed me into. Here's a guy who was after the American Dream - had a great job with one of the best companies on earth, great family, new car, new house.. etc. We had just finished a year within which we had reached a level of income we had never seen before. Our friends at church were great, the church was growing, and we were a part of it. Word within the church was I was a shoo in for deacon.



Then God went and made me a preacher.



Which leaves me wide open for questions like the title of this devotional, and several others.



Such as, why?



If it was in pursuit of accomplishment - well I'll have you know I had already achieved great success.



For example, were you aware that I had sold the first full page color Pepto Bismol ad in the known world? Ha! Didn't think so.



Or that I had sold 23 trucks full of Folgers coffee, marking the single biggest purchase on record for that brand? No? Well, now you know.



When the gentleman asked me why this weekend, I didn't share those with him. Instead, I told him I was called.



A calling from God is more than a conversation, it's a hunger, a passion, a consuming fire. When the 17th century scientist Pascal died in 1662, his friend found a scrap of paper in his coat. An excerpt from Pascal's journal of 8 years before was written on it. "From about half past ten in the evening until about half past twelve FIRE..."



We don't know what happened to Pascal that night. Nothing physical changed about him. But the passion for God was ignited in him in a way it never had been before. His life changed. His desires changed. His goals changed. What mattered to him before - what had great significance to him and to the world - no longer mattered. It had been burned away by fire.



"They left their nets at once and followed Him."



Friends, if you want to know Truth - truth that will grab you by heart, mind and soul, truth that will become your desire, your rock-solid foundation, your reason for living each day, that will let you rest easy in the knowledge that your efforts have not been in vain, that your life does matter - then listen to the call of Jesus. Come and follow ...



Grace!



David



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.

1 comment:

  1. Unknown Preacher3:51 PM

    Thanks for that word Dave. My struggle as a bi-vocational is often between my need to "bring home the bacon" and my desire to minister full time. I often need reminders that my "day job" serves an eternal purpose (aside from being a mission field).

    ReplyDelete