Friday, April 23, 2004

Certainties



We're preparing for our study of the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren for the next 40 days here at New Hope, and in my reading I came across this quote from Nobel prize winning physicist Richard Feynman.



I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here, and what the question might mean. I might think about it a little bit, but if I can't figure it out, then I go on to something else. But I don't have to know an answer... I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me.



A brilliant man who when faced with the question of "What On Earth Am I Here For" reacted as the woman in Kansas had a few years back when she went out on the front porch, saw a tornado coming dead for her. She went back inside, closed the door and locked it.



Who was she fooling? She wasn't secure. Who was Feynman fooling? He was frightened.



Friends, here's the great certainty. Write it down. Impress it upon your children.



It's not about you.



Col. 1:16 (Msg)

For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible...

— everything got started in Him and finds its purpose in Him.




It's about God.



Until you grapple with God, you'll never really grip life.



Until your life is in His hands - it will never be secure.



Until you know God, though you may be brilliant in all matter of earthly things, you'll never have true understanding.



It's not about you. It's about Him. And I've got great news.



It makes no difference who you are or where you're from—if you want God and are ready to do as He says, the door is open. Acts 10:35 (Msg)



That is up to you. Unending love awaits if you'll walk through that door.



Of that I am certain.



Grace!





David



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.



No comments:

Post a Comment